Confessions of a Crunchy Delinquent

v8bytrtdlzyk1b5da3ahgt4is1urib2x

Eating real food, being healthy, getting exercise, trying to sort out all the billions of bits of information on the internet and in books to decide which are true and which are not. Trying to figure out what’s best for you and your family and what is not. Trying to make sure all of the things your putting into and on your body are chemical free and non-toxic.

Its crazy and stressful!

Sometimes I really go crazy trying to figure it out and stay on top of things is really difficult. So in our house (and many other healthy homes) we follow the 80/20 rule. 80% is healthy, homemade, organic, real food, etc. the other 20% is better then it could be, but we don’t stress ourselves out about it. It really, really makes everything less stressful and easier to manage.

I try very hard, but still can’t do absolutely everything I’d like to.

In an effort to help you feel better about your ‘mistakes,’ here’s some things I do ‘wrong’-

I eat ice cream.

Too much ice cream. Mass produced, grocery store bought, ice cream. I get the ‘all natural’ version, which is just the bare minimum of ingredients- cream, sugar, milk and whatever flavor the ice cream is.  So its a little ‘better’ then other ice creams. But its still total crap. Skim milk, GMOs….. But its good and I don’t have an ice cream maker yet (or hours to make it without a maker).

I go out to eat.

I enjoy going out and having a good time and having a meal. I like getting dressed nicely and being out and socializing. I like having someone who’s not me cook dinner occasionally. So sometimes, I go out and have some high fructose chicken strips, or some genetically modified potatoes. And occasionally I have a soda, but not too often cuz more then half a glass tends to make me sick.

I use plastic.

I have plastic containers I store my food in. We really don’t have the money to replace all of our plastic with glass right now, so we keep using our chemical laden, poison containers to store our nice, homemade, real food.

Sometimes, I use deodorant.

My homemade stuff takes longer to put on and when I suddenly realize I smell on my way out the door, the toxic, store bought deodorant has my name all over it. So I just smear that aluminum all over my pits and head out. I feel like my armpits are going to shrivel up and die, but I do it anyways.

I ♥ Heinz

I really do. No other ketchup can stand the taste bud test. I will make my other condiments and sauces, but not ketchup. I use organic or Simply Heinz (no high fructose corn syrup or additives) to make myself feel better about it. But I love Heinz ketchup and I will never give it up. Period.

I don’t see any reason to sweat the little stuff. We’re healthy and happy. Stressing out isn’t healthy either!

In the words or Bob Marley, “Don’t worry, be happy!”

~Courtney, The Crunchy Delinquent

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Confessions of a Crunchy Delinquent

  1. I like wine..AND ketchup! Not sure if I’ll be able to use the homemade recipes for mayo and ketchup but I’ll at least give it a try. Both of you ladies are awesome! Thanks for joining the 7-Day Real Food Challenge!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s